Malta Flag Registration
- Low company formation and registration costs.
- Complete tax exemptions, and benefits for owners, charters and financiers of Maltese yachts.
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew, serving on Maltese vessels.
- No restrictions on the nationality of shareholders and directors of Maltese shipping companies.
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese yachts.
- No trading restrictions.
- Preferential treatment for Maltese yachts in certain ports.
- Serious and efficient maritime administration.
- Flag state inspectorate to ensure adherence to international standards
- Easy access to decision-makers within the competent authorities, backed by a qualified and efficient team of technical officers available for urgent matters on a 24- hour basis.
- Sound multilateral and bilateral relations.
- Active participation in international shipping fora.
What steps are involved?Yacht registration in Malta is a simple and straight forward operation which can be split as follows: Step 1 - Incorporation of a Maltese company The reason for incorporating a Maltese company is for the purpose of registering the yacht in the name of a Maltese body. The yacht owner has a choice of two types of companies depending on whether he wishes to disclose his identity or not and these are as follows:
- Onshore Holding Company (the owner appears as share holder)
- Onshore Holding Nominee (the owner appoints nominees as apparent shareholders)
Provisional Registration During this six month period the yacht may navigate freely with a provisional certificate of registration. This gives the owner sufficient time to obtain cancellation of the previous registration and to prepare the necessary documentation. A point to mention is that at this stage the bill of sale to the Maltese company is not needed hence the owner as a trial period may utilize this period. Should the owner decide to go ahead with permanent registration and providing all the necessary documents have been obtained we may proceed to register the yacht permanently.
Permanent Registration Upon receipt of all the necessary documents, including a bill of sale to the holding company a permanent registration certificate is issued.At no stage in the operation do transfer taxes apply.